Monday, January 3, 2011

Next up!

With machine issues being sorted, I finished my table runner quilt top and have started another projected to keep the momentum going.  I don't want to risk waiting and losing my drive.

I've decided to make a small quilt, using the disappearing 9-patch.  I've chosen some fun fabric here:

I love the red and the patterns will look great in our living room!


I picked up a rotary cutter, mat, and ruler, so I bought fat quarters and cut my own 5" squares this time.  I got the practice in measuring and cutting, plus, I had a much bigger selection of fabric in the fat quarters than the charm packs.

Coordinating the fabrics was fun, but challenging.  Especially trying to find 9 coordinating fabrics.  This is one reason I went with more solid-ish golds and red (I did switch out one of the middle golds for a dark green for more contrast).  I was afraid to make the project too busy.

I'm sure I'll get better the more I do it, but I'm really happy with these.

I was able to piece the 9-patch together with my machine.  This is the before cutting version...




And here is the disappearing block...



This time I'm going to repeat this exact block, instead of mixing up  the squares each time.  The repeating pattern should be really pretty. =)

Things I've learned...
  1. Taking the extra time to square up the fabric before cutting is worth it in the long run.
  2. Changing a bobbin is not as complicated as I expected.
  3. Tension headaches can also be directly related to the wrong tension settings on the sewing machine! 
  4. Rotary cutting rocks, or rather rolls. =P

What do you think of my fabric choices and newest project?  I'd love to hear from you!  Leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment